What do you say when you’re prospecting expired listings and they say to you, “Well, where were you when my house was on the market?” It’s a common objection, because sellers know it works. It was one of the toughest objections for me to ever get past, and I finally realized that Objections stump us for a couple of reasons:
- Because we’re not prepared.
- Because we treat the sellers objection as legitimate… “Oh no! He’s right. I wasn’t there…so I’m a loser.” NO!
So today, I’m going to share with you what I figured out AND how to overcome this objection once and for all.
REALITY: You weren’t there because you didn’t have a buyer for his house. That’s the truth…but If you just say the naked truth…you’re out.
That’s where a skilled, no-BS approach comes in.
What NOT to say:
“Because you didn’t hire me to bring a buyer?”
“Your agent didn’t even tell me about your house.” (BS)
“Where were you when my house was on the market?”
- That’s a great question…and I hear where you’re coming from…
- The short answer is because your house wasn’t a match for any of my buyers I was working with at the time…. However…can I let you know something else? (Yes.)
- The reason I didn’t have a buyer match for your home is because…unfortunately…my focus wasn’t specifically on your property. And I say unfortunately…because…it sounds like you are really interested in getting your property sold, correct? (Yes.) Excellent.
- If you knew you could get the property sold for top dollar in the next 30 days or so, would that be a win for you? (Yes.) Awesome!
- And if I could help you make that happen, that would be OK with you, yes? (Yes!)
- Perfect, when would be a good time for us to get together…